Monday, August 17, 2009
Sabzi Polow...Green Rice
Sabzi Polow: Green Rice (rice with herbs)
* 3 cups basmati rice (dry)
* 1 large or two small bunches of dill (washed and chopped)
* 1 bunch parsley (washed and chopped)
* 1 bunch cilantro (washed and chopped)
* 5 cloves garlic (diced)
* 2½ tsp turmeric
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Mix chopped herbs with garlic. Add turmeric, salt and pepper. Combine well.
2. Boil rice in pot of salted water to create ½ cooked rice.
3. Add herb and spice mixture to ½ cooked rice and stir so that ingredients are evenly combined.
4. Put oil in the bottom of large pot. Add rice mixture and drizzle a bit more oil over top.
5. Cover top of pot lid with clean dish towel and steam 1 hour.
6. Scrape thick crust (tah dig) from bottom of pot and place on top of rice when serving.
7. Serve with fried white fish if cooking for non vegetarians.